Topics to be covered:
- What is a digital library (DL)? how is a DL diffrent from a database?
from the World Wide Web (WWW)? from traditional Information Retrieval (IR)
- History of Scientific and Technical Information (STI) distribution.
Recent trends in readership, authoring, and economics.
- STI literature: grey & white.
- Traditional library vs. DL
- Vannevar Bush, "As We May Think", Atlantic Monthly, July 1945.
In a very real sense, Dr. Bush invented the field of digital libraries and
all we are doing is implementing the vision he laid out 50+ years ago. No
serious discussion of DLs can begin without mention of this article.
- John Willinsky, "Scholarly Associations and the Economic Viability of Open Access Publishing",
Journal of Digital Information, Volume 4 Issue 2.
The economics of open access, society membership and journal publishing.
- Chapters 1 and 2, Arms
A brief overview of libraries and Internet concepts.