Ph.D. in Computer Science
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA (2019 - Present)
My main research areas are information retrieval, data science and machine learning.
Currently I work with eye tracking for neurophysiological disease and disorder detection and also on multi-user eye tracking. The current research includes aspects of computer vision and machine learning for successfull eye trackig, distributed systems for data collection and transmission and Information retrieval and data mining for generating useful information.
BSc in Engineering (Computer Science and Engineering)
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (2014 - 2018)
During the Bachelor's degree, I followed Integrated Computer Engineering (ICE) program, which provided
knowledge on embedded system and computer hardware development in addition to core computer science
and Engineering knowledge areas. In addition, I took courses in Computer Networks, Machine learning, Data mining,
Information retrieval, Robotics and Comuter Vision to broaden knowledge.
My final year research and development project was based on Data mining and Machine learning to provide insights for improving quality of education in Sri Lanka.
Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (UK)
Through the professional qualification program, I was able to gather knowledge and skills in the field of Management Accouting and Decision Making. The program includes knowledge areas of Performance, Enterprise and Financial management utilizing knowledge of Management accouting, Financial Accouting, Business law and Economics.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA (08/2019 - Present)
- Research on multi-user eye-tracking, multi-sensory information retrieval for human-computer interaction, and behavioral analysis.
- Research on scalable appearance-based gaze/eye tracking in the wild.
- Conducted sessions on Python, Embedded programming, and Data science for Student ThinSat Summer Camp.
- Performed teaching assistant duties for Data structures and algorithms, Discrete structures, and Cryptography for computer security.
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM (05/2021 - 08/2021)
- Designed and developed a toolset for the Memento Protocol(IET RFC 7089) compliance testing and reporting.
- Implemented improvements to enable toolset and service accessibility to public and private web archives.
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (01/2019 - 08/2019)
- Planned, coordinated, conducted and evaluated Computer Networks, Software Engineering, Industrial Computer Engineering, and Image processing practical sessions for undergraduates.
- Mentoring and Supervising undergraduate software engineering projects.
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (08/2018 - 12/2018)
- Conducted and evaluated practical sessions for Computer Networks, and Industrial Computer Engineering.
Associate Software Engineer
Wavenet International (Pvt) Ltd, Colombo, Sri Lanka (01/2018 - 08/2018)
- Designed, developed and optimized databases for high throughput applications using MySQL cluster.
- Developed plugins and plugin support for data warehousing and data analytics for existing telecommunication products.
Trainee Software Engineer
Wavenet International (Pvt) Ltd, Colombo, Sri Lanka (06/2017 - 12/2017)
- Developed high available and throughput applications using Erlang, Mnesia and MySQL cluster for telecommunication service providers.
- Developed plugins for company product integrations and end-user applications.
Projects [ Read More ]
MGaze - Multi User Gaze Interactions
Researching and Developing systems, algorithms and software for
multi-user eye tracking for analytics in immersive environments.
Implemented a library for Memento link header parsing combining popular algorithms.
Python, Mementoo Protocol
Data Driven Instructions for Sri Lankan Education
The project intends to enhance the learning and teaching experience
of the stakeholders in the Sri Lankan education sector through the use of
data mining and machine learning techniques to generate insights.
Python, Scikit-Learn, NodeJS, Angular, Orange
Designed and developed a tool for monitoring MySQL (NDB Cluster)
for issues, errors and overloading and notifying users through
subscribed services such as SNMP
MySQL, NDB Cluster, Erlang, SNMP
Sheyar - Ride Sharing
Cross-platform smart ride sharing application, consisting of a web
application, mobile application and an embedded device monitoring
the driving pattern of the driver.
LAMP, MEAN, Cordova
Smart Car Park
Smart parking and vehicle tracking system using automatic
number plate detection.
LAMP, Google Maps, Banana Pro, Python, OpenCV
Online collaborative tool for brainstorming sessions with automated
entity linking and web based suggestions based on the content
available on the board.
NodeJS, Socket.io, NLTK
Peer-reviewed Conference Publications
Bhanuka Mahanama, Gavindya Jayawardena, Sampath Jayarathna “Analyzing
Unconstrained Reading Patterns of Digital Documents Using Eye Tracking”, in
ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), 2021, IEEE. [Best Poster]
Bhanuka Mahanama, Yasith Jayawardana, Sampath Jayarathna, “Gaze-Net: Appearance-Based Gaze Estimation using Capsule Networks”, in 11th Augmented Human International Conference (AH), 2020, ACM. pp. 1-4.
Summer Internship at LANL - Memento Validator, WS-DL Research Group Blog
Machine Learning on Browser with TensorFlow, WS-DL Research Group Blog
Student ThinSat Research Summer Camp for Hampton Roads High School Students, WS-DL Research Group Blog
Augmented Human Online Trip Report (2020), WS-DL Research Group Blog